"When completed in the fall of 2006, the study will provide a quantitative analysis of the 2005 North American installed base for variable-data-capable digital presses with print speeds of at least 50 pages per minute for colour and 91-plus for monochrome," says John M Hamm, president and CEO of John M. Hamm & Associates.
In addition to a number of case studies, the study will also provide forecasts for 2006 as well as 2011, broken out in numerous ways including black and white vs. colour, speed, type of technology (electrophotography, magnetography and inkjet).
The study will also:
• Provide a forecast of the migration from offset to digital
• provide an understanding of equipment replacement cycle time and possible markets for used digital equipment
• provide an understanding of the workflow and the impacts on future installed base for feeding and finishing processes (including inline and offline in the physical workflow) and other areas such as web-to-print, JDF and UP31, hybrids (offset & digital), and software needs
• provide a quantitative contrast and comparison of substrate and other consumables usage patterns by technology, type of market segment and print product
• provide qualitative analysis of trends in the adoption of digital printing, barriers and drivers for adoption, and trends that may influence the growth of digital printing.
According to Jackie Bland, managing director of PRIMIR, “We are excited about the team that we have selected to complete this research. State Street Consultants, with their long history of research in the digital printing market, has tremendous databases of graphic arts printing and publishing sites and solid experience in producing professional market research studies.”
John M Hamm & Associates provides a solid knowledge base and insights into digital printing from both commercial printer and industry supplier perspectives.
The Print Industries Market Information and Research Organisation (PRIMIR), provides in-depth research and analysis for the graphic communications industry. Formed in 2005 when the NPES Market Research Committee merged with GAMIS, PRIMIR annually provides its members with current, relevant market data and detailed information on graphic arts and related fields. Members also benefit from meetings, market research skills building, and robust networking opportunities.
State Street Consultants, Inc. is a general management consulting firm specialising in sales productivity and growth for leaders in the graphic arts, packaging, digital imaging, and other high-tech industries. Services include consulting, market research, market intelligence and sales support.
When completed in the fall of 2006, the study “Digital Printing Outlook in a Production Environment” will be distributed exclusively to PRIMIR and NPES members.